This prestigious institution which can be considered as one of the most precious gift, given to our motherland under the British reign.Though their main intention was to propagate the Christianity: we are indebted to our Rev. Father J.W.Balding and Matilda Balding: the founder principal who took the initial step to start this lasting monument: known as Boarding school on the 1st June 1888 with 8 girls.
There’s no doubt that we can mention it as a providential occurrence; when we experience the immeasurable service she has been doing to the nation for about 122 years by producing most illustrious old girls in every sphere they have chosen.
After getting the service of self sacrificing British lady principals, the school was fortunate to get the valuable service of Miss Doddy V De Silva in1940.She had the distinction of becoming the first Sri Lankan Principal of Christ Church Girls’ College.
In 1954 Mrs. Martha Karunarathna, an illustrious old girl of the school, took over the principalship of the school. Under her brilliant leadership of 33 years the school experienced both physical expansion as well as qualititative growth. This era is considered as the golden era of Christ Church Girls’ College. In 1955 the advanced level arts stream was started and commerce stream was introduced in 1960.
In 1962 the school was taken over by the government. The first indoor stadium for badminton in the southern province was constructed in our school as a result of the untiring effort of Mrs. Martha Karunarathne. Many students came off with flying colours in badminton and the school was able to produce the tripple queen in 1975.
Under the provident guidance of Mrs. Martha Karunarathna, Christ Church Girls’ College rose to be recognized as one of the best schools in the island and as well selected as the best school in Galle district in 1972.
In 1977 Mrs. R.N. Mahaliyana assumed duties as the principal and she was succeeded in carrying alight the prosperity of the school.
During her era school celebrated the centenary
After Mrs. Mahaliyana, Mrs. B.R. Gunawardane shouldered the responsibility of launching the school ahead. Her diligence has enabled her to construct a three storied building and an auditorium in the school.
The school was promoted as a national school in 1996. The new auditorium was named after the most distinguished principal Mrs. Martha Karunarathne.
Since Mrs. B.R.gunawardane was promoted as a directress of education in 1996, Mrs.L.Gunawardene: the deputy principal at that moment successfully carried on the school as the acting principal. In 1997 Ms W.S.Ranasinghe assumed duties as the Principal, during her era she tried her level best to make well disciplined students. From 1999-2002 Ms.MallikaWijesinghe took over the principalship. During her era the foundation was laid for a four storied building for the primary section.
After that in 2002 Ms. H.T.M.R. Jayasinghe assumed duties as the principal of this prestigious institute. As a result of her tremendous effort she was able to renovate the library with the aid of Peter Mohan Trust. Our old girls’ association donated a building duringMsJayasinghe’s era. Here we appreciate her effort to uplift the standard of English in this school
After Ms.Jayasinghe’s retirement in 2007 Ms G.D.P,K. Nanayakkara one of the old girs in Christ Church Girls’ College assumed duties as the principal. During her era Nadeesha Hansamali Epa was able to write the name of the school in golden letters by obtaining the all island first place in arts stream G.C.E. advanced level examination in 2007. In Nanayakkara’s era the school was able to achieve many victories. Among them obtaining the first place in all island English day drama competitions in 2006 can be considered as a prominent incident. Here in Shaniya Niromi Gunasekara was selected as the all island best actress of the senior section.
Ms. K.K.K.Kodithuwakku the present principal assumed duties in 2009 She is being tried her level best to uplift the standard of this prestigious institute in every sphere As a result of her tremendous effort we were able to open the four storied building in the primary section. Due to her dedication and commitment the school is being reached to the highest standard not only in academic section but also with almost all the infrastructural facilities.